A friend of mine had this as part of her lunch the other day and it was nice of her to share the recipe for this delicious kale salad. Nancy’s original recipe had walnuts/sunflower seeds and no lemon juice. I thought I’d go ahead and modify it for my tastes.
Disclaimer: Before embarking on any of my recipes, please read this first!
Kale Cranberry Salad
- 2 cups of kale leaves, loosely chopped
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries (sweetened or unsweetened, I’ll leave that up to you)
- 1/4 cup of raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice (I just squeezed in a whole lemon, I’m guestimating about 3 tbsp)
- 2 tablespoons of honey (or to taste)
- a pinch of sea salt
Servings: 2-4, depending on how much greenery you like with your meal.
- Add chopped kale, cranberries and pumpkin seeds to a mixing bowl.
- Mix garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, honey and sea salt in a separate bowl until throughly combined.
- Pour mixture over the kale mix and gently toss until evenly coated.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Kale — This is a leafy green vegetable with which many don’t know what to do (yours truly included) but is incredibly healthy for you and packs a punch with Vitamin K, A, and C.
Recipe keynote: A fresh & zesty, yet simple, salad that can compliment any dinner but particularly one with heavy flavours or sauces.